A Grateful Heart is a loving heart. A heart becomes grateful when it encounters the significance of the Love of Christ.
Gratefulness is a powerful energy in a person. It adds an unfathomable quality to one’s life. Out of a grateful heart comes an ever-growing and more profound awareness of the importance of appreciating everyday life. A grateful heart is usually a heart that has been tried out. Despite all the challenges a person has experienced, he (or she) has realized that living appreciatively and gratefully is the high road to travel.
In 1 Thessalonians 5:18, God leads you “in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” This passage might be overwhelming to accomplish, but the Bible provides directions on achieving that level of complete gratitude.
5 Ways To Show Thanksgiving to Christ Jesus
1. Remember Him Always. There is no more extraordinary act of appreciation than to be remembered in every and anything you do. Think of it as the feeling when you win an award for something or when somebody remembers your birthday.
Remembering God means He is on your mind more often than not the entire day. He is a part of your deeds, words, and thoughts. Further, remembering God means sharing Him with others. The book of Psalms 3:6 says, “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
2. Pray to Him. One of the truthful ways to demonstrate your appreciation to God is to tell Him through prayer. God loves to hear from you. He often wonders why you never write or call.
Seriously, prayer is the surest and most straightforward way to show gratitude to God. A sincere, simple prayer, given from the bottom of your heart and expressing your thanks for the extraordinary life you have been given, will touch God deeply.
You see, there are no fast and hard rules about praying. Come to God just as you are. It is never too late to start — even if you have never prayed before.
3. Serve Others. One of the most truthful ways to express your appreciation to God is serving others in His name. 1 Peter 4:10 leads you, “As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” Hence, you serve God by serving others and showing your gratitude for His work in your life.
4. Acknowledge His Ways. To give thanksgiving unto God, you must acknowledge His ways in your life. What blessings has He given to you? Be specific as you count your blessings. Name individual friends and family members. Think of your life, home, health, country, and city. Ask yourself what, exactly, about your life is a blessing? How about your talents, skills, job, and education? Did you think of God’s greatest gift, His Son, Jesus Christ? You will be amazed at the many blessings you genuinely have. Now you can show thanksgiving to God for them.
5. Always Choose To Be Humble. You are an incredible person. It goes without saying, and anyone with any sense already knows that. Thus, you do not need to tell anyone how awesome you are!
In James 4:10, His words say, “Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.” It expands to the attitude you express when faced with trials in life. Choosing to be grateful and humble for the chance to overcome rather than bitter and angry over the challenge shows gratitude for God’s guidance and plan. It demonstrates your trust in Him and His wisdom.
What’s Keeping You Ungrateful?
So what keeps you from having a grateful heart? A lack of an appreciative mind and heart is the obvious answer. But, what is creating an ungrateful spirit within a person? Well, there may be many things happening in your lives that make it hard to have a grateful heart. Maybe you feel justified to have an angry heart, a bitter heart, a sad heart, or a lonely heart. These feelings come and go within all of humanity at times. However, these are conditions of the heart that are not healthy for all to maintain. These heart conditions threaten your spirit, mental health, physical health, and soul, which is our most profound sense of self.
Every day in your life is a testimony to God’s work. Judith’s book about God’s intervention in human lives entitled “The Hands of God” gives you a glimpse of God’s magnified love and mercy for His people. And so, take a minute of your time every day to show your gratitude for that life, and it will lead you to that more profound sense of joy in everything you do.